Since we've been working from home, what we know as "work attire" looks a lot more like elevated lounge wear and easy flowing styles. And if you find yourself attending zoom meetings consistently, then you're probably more "work appropriate" at the top and relaxed at the bottom, right?
Relaxed bottoms may look like leggings, sweats or even jeans. Jeans are a classic wardrobe staple that will NEVER go out of style. With that said, investing in a few good pairs of jeans to filter into your wardrobe is one of the best decisions you can make. Especially, during a time like this.
No matter what, every woman has a body type which is typically generalized into 3-4 different categories. Below, are the 3 most common body types that women tend to categorize themselves in. We determined a few different brands of denim that are considered the best options for each type.
If you're 5'4" or shorter, you're considered petite. Regular clothing is designed for women who are at least 5'5" or taller and even then, there aren't many women who fit that description. But, for anyone who is a bit shorter the problems with finding clothes that fit, tend to multiply.
Nordstrom and J.Crew are just a few of the handful of clothing stores that carry petite sizes, as most of the petite lines are only offered online. However, most of the advice given to petite body types is exactly the same. And it is frequently forgotten that all petite women are different.
Tips when styling your petite jeans
Get used to trying a variety of brands and sizes until you find your size. Most "shorter" or "petite" sizes can be too short and/or too small for the average petite woman
Cropped jeans/pants usually fit petite women perfectly
Play around with unique styles (vertical stripes, flare leg) and pair them with the right shoes to elongate the look of your legs
Brands with good petite options
If you're 5'5" or above, you're considered tall. Most off the rack clothing would be considered too short in length or in the torso for this body type. So, shopping brands that offer pants with longer hems would be the solution. If you thought petite women had it bad, taller women are struggling just as much.
The inseam of most standard-size denim is around 32” — just long enough for a woman who stands at approximately 5’7”, without shoes. Anyone taller is left to contend with an awkward gap between the ankle and the foot, forced to only purchase that will work as "cropped".
Tips when styling your tall jeans
If you love a pair of jeans that aren’t long enough, no sweat! Wear tallish boots to hide the flood or add fun socks
Opt for a skinny roll rather than a cuff on your jeans to create the illusion that you’ve got fabric to spare
Pants with a slit at the bottom are your friend
Brands with good tall options
In the U.S., sizes 14 and above are considered "plus size", although not everyone who falls into that range identifies or agrees with that term. But style your jeans the right way and you’ll balance your proportions and create the ultimate flattering silhouette.
Tips when styling your plus jeans
Choose jeans that have between 1% and 4% spandex for maximum stretch, without feeling like yoga pants
Know your measurements
Brands with good plus/curvy options
There are few things better than finding an outfit that flatters your figure. The thing is, if you don’t understand why certain things look great on you, it can be hard to keep finding new favorites. In actuality, it’s very simple—it all boils down to body shape. Once you learn how to dress for your body shape, it’s amazing how easy it is to build a wardrobe you love to wear. Keep reading to discover the types of jeans best designed for each body shape and where to shop for them.
From top to bottom, you are a picture of harmony and balance. You have equal proportions between your upper and lower body with a well-defined waist. With your body shape, I would recommend body-hugging styles that will show off those amazing curves.
What is a double diamond shape? Here are some common characteristics:
• Your shoulders and hips are about equal width
• You have a defined waist
• You likely have a larger bust and bottom
• You describe yourself as curvy
1. High waist - this rise accentuates your defined waist for a flattering fit
2. High waist flared - this silhouette beautifully balances curvier hips and thighs
3. Wide leg - like flared jeans, this style lends proportion to your lower half
4. Skinny - a close-fitting style shows off your natural curves
If your hips and bust are perfectly balanced and your legs are easily defined as one of your best assets, then you are an Elegant Emerald! To help show off that beautiful body we recommend clothing that will help that waistline shine.
The key to creating a proportional look is to make sure your jeans complement the silhouette of your blouse or T-shirt. If you’re going voluminous on top, balance it out with something fitted on bottom, and vice versa.
What is an elegant emerald shape? Here are some common characteristics:
• Your shoulders, bust, and hip measurements are fairly uniform
• Your waist is more straight than curvy
1. High waist - especially in darker washes, high-rise jeans (or mid-rise for a shorter torso) will make your legs look a mile long
2. Wide leg - this roomy silhouette fills out your hips, thighs, and bottom
3. Flare - the hemline adds flow and pairs well with your favorite booties
4. Slim straight - an alternative to super-skinny jeans, which only exaggerate a rectangular frame
The key to dressing your classic diamond body shape is to balance your beautiful athletic shoulders and full chest to your slimmer lower body. To help achieve this balance, we recommend clothing that will bring definition to the waist and accentuate the curves of your
It’s all about adding volume and curves to your lower half.
What is a classic diamond shape? Here are some common characteristics:
• Your shoulders are the broadest part of your body
• Your bust may be larger
• Your hips and waist are narrower
1. Cropped wide leg - the fuller leg line is a no-brainer for balancing your shape
2. Boyfriend - this baggy style creates curves around the hips and thighs
3. Flared - balance out your shoulders with this more shapely cut
4. Straight leg - whereas skinny jeans exaggerate your shape, these balance it out
Heart of Hearts
If you have a fuller chest, round shoulders that flow into your waist, and beautiful long legs than you are the Heart of Hearts! While the tendency is to cover up with loose clothing, we encourage you to embrace your beautiful shape by highlighting your best assets (bust and legs) by creating vertical lines.
What is a heart of hearts shape? Here are some common characteristics:
• Your shoulders, bust, waist, and hips are fairly uniform—but your shoulders and hips may be slightly narrower
• Your waistline is rather undefined
• You have a large bust
1. Straight or slim - a great option if you don’t love super form-fitting pieces
2. Bootcut - the slightly flared hem balances out a curvy silhouette
3. Dark skinny - very on-trend and highlights your legs. A high-rise pair also creates a waistline
4. High waist flared - mirror any volume created around your shoulders with flared-leg denim
If you are a Perfect Pear, your best assets are your well-defined waist and sculpted lower body. You also have an elegant neck and shoulder line. To show off your beautiful body, your focus needs to be on balancing your hip area with your upper body. Accentuating your slimmer waist with the right size, length, and style of apparel will give your look the definition it deserves.
There are plenty of ways to flatter the curviest part of your silhouette. But in a nutshell, it’s all about looking for the right styles, like slightly roomier cuts and darker colors.
What is a perfect pear shape? Here are some common characteristics:
• Your hips and thighs are wider than your shoulders and bust
• Your have a defined waist that is narrow compared to your hips
1. Straight - these will help to balance out your shape
2. Slim straight - a skinny-jean alternative that skims the thighs rather than squeezing them
3. Bootcut - the subtl